Tuesday, November 5, 2013

why does the blogosphere need another lifestyle blog?


Ok, I know...this is a REALLY long post! But it explains WHY I feel the need for yet another lifestyle blog...so please bear with me!

I have been an avid blog reader (and blogger) for five+ years. And believe me, there are plenty of excellent lifestyle blogs out there.

The fun, fashion forward, shopping resource, social network blogs are done mostly by girls in their 20's and 30's. They're graphic designers, artists, photographers, and photo-stylists; hip, trendy, innovative movers and shakers with loads of personal style and get-up-and-go. Their decorating style is bright, quirky and individual; contemporary cool meets vintage charm. I am so inspired by their energy and enthusiasm, and I adore reading them, but often I experience a little deja vu; you know, been there-done-that.

Then, there are the "mommy blogs," obviously by and for young moms. They're informative, cute, and enjoyable to read; however, not at all relate-able to me or my lifestyle anymore.

The 40+ bloggers tend to be more reflective, which makes perfect sense, since they actually have an adult past to reflect upon. They deal primarily with the subject of aging; how to look good (read younger); how to dress age appropriately to hide flaws; where to find beauty products to help maintain a youthful appearance; to dye or not to dye; how to handle age discrimination, socially and on the job; how to spice up your sex life when all he wants to do is watch football on TV, etc. Relate-able info, but sometimes I feel like they're trying just a little too hard.

My dilemma is, that while most of the blogs are interesting and entertaining, and all have bits and pieces of info that are relevant to me, I just haven't found one that truly fits my lifestyle..

I'm on the + side of 40. I occasionally reflect on the past, but most of the time I choose to live in the moment. I want to look good, and I love shopping, and discovering great new sources for clothing, jewelry, beauty products and makeup. But I know that true, timeless beauty comes from within.

Home is my go-to place to relax, refresh, and regroup. I want it to be comfortable, and reflect my personal tastes. I've always loved to travel, and many of my favorite home furnishings are items that I have collected along the way.

I feel that work should be interesting and creative, because who wants to spend eight hours a day, five days a week, doing something boring? And if you grit your teeth and get knots in your stomach at the thought of going to work, then you definitely have the wrong job!

I think less about how to look and act young, and more about "am I getting the most out of life?" I like to learn and do things I've never done before. I don't want to waste my time worrying about wrinkles and "bat wings" and hiding my gray hair; there's just too much fun to be had! But I'm aware of the changes that occur with aging, and I know the importance of taking care of what I have.

Life requires a delicate balance; somewhere between working and playing; feeling carefree and acting responsibly; being spontaneous and planning carefully; getting and giving; growing up and staying young at heart. We're all seeking balance, with a dash of pizazz. I want to find my comfort zone, and then challenge it every day.

My hope is that food+clothing+shelter will appeal to gals (and guys) of all ages. We have more in common than you think, but we can learn a lot from each other too.  I welcome your suggestions and input. Have a great day!

C

1 comment: