Sunday, November 24, 2013

eden eats


EDEN GRINSHPAN

This morning, I'm watching a show called Eden Eats on The Cooking Channel. Yes, I know it's early, but I'm an early riser...

Eden Grinshpan is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu in London, and the host of Eden Eats, a traveling show to find global cuisine in cities across the US. I've been watching it every Sunday morning for the past few weeks. So far, I've seen Charlotte NC, Phoenix AZ, San Diego CA, Austin, TX, Salt Lake City UT, and today; Baltimore MD.

If you're interested in dining off the beaten path, you'll love this show. Eden is enthusiastic and adventurous, as well as quite knowledgeable about food. I share her curiosity about what other cultures eat. Every time I talk to someone from another country, the conversation eventually turns to food. My favorite questions are, "What do you eat for breakfast?" and "What are some of the traditional dishes that you prepare for holidays?" And of course, their holidays are often not my holidays...so I want to know all about their holidays too. Most people love to talk about their heritage. They're proud of who they are and where they came from; and traditional cuisines are an important part of any culture.

There are a few ethnic restaurants here in Dallas that I go to frequently. I've gotten to know the proprietors and ask questions all the time. They often prepare dishes for me that are not on the menu; usually exotic, and always delicious.

You're doing yourself and world peace a favor when you embrace other cultures and get to know people outside of your familiar circle of friends. And if you're lucky, they'll invite you to dinner!

read more about Eden Grinshpan here
image via COOKING CHANNEL TV

No comments:

Post a Comment