Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"lbd"


By far, the most versatile piece of clothing I've ever owned is the "lbd"; the little black dress. Timeless. Elegant. Understated. Think Holly Golightly standing in front of Tiffany's with her coffee and donut, peering longingly at the window display.

I've had dozens of lbd's. My first, and still favorite, was when I was thirteen. I'd saved my allowance money, and talked Mom into letting me go shopping on my own for a dress to wear to a party. When I came home with a lbd, she insisted that I take it back, because she felt it was too "mature." But I protested, and she eventually came around and let me keep it. It was so cute; a fitted, sheer organdy over satin mini-dress with a white lace collar and sheer "Juliet" sleeves; fitted to the elbow, then pouffed out and gathered up again at the wrists. I think the white collar was the only thing that saved me.

Lately, I've been shopping for another lbd. Here are some real contenders; well, the Stella McCartney is a little out of my budget (ok, a lot), but a girl can dream!

C

Ted Baker Larmma Necklace Detail Midi Dress



Tibi Leather Asymmetrical Wrap Dress



Stella McCartney Bonnie Dress

images via 1/2/3

No comments:

Post a Comment